The UNC Chapel Hill tree arsonist who screamed, “hail satan” as he fled while stripping off his clothes has been identified.
Joshua D. Edwards, 24, entered the Orange County Courthouse in handcuffs and wearing a smile, declaring, “Hug a tree for me, please. Hug a tree.”
A former UNC student, Edwards is charged with six felonies, including malicious use of incendiary device
Joshua Daniel Edwards, 24, of 903 Park Ridge Drive, Apt. A3, in Durham was arrested and charged with the following:
- Felony count of malicious use of explosives to inflict injury
- Felony count of malicious use of explosives to damage property
- Felony count of assembling a weapon of mass destruction
- Felony count of setting fire to grass/grassland
- Felony count of assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury
- Felony count of “filing a false police report
The tree arsonist is being held on $20,000 bond.